First, I have changed the name of my blog from “Mo’s Blog” to “Cove Blue for Jiyu.” The rest of this post explains why, somewhere in between the lines.
The life and death of Jiyu the dolphin struck me deeply. As has been discussed by myself and others, Jiyu was snatched from a free life in the ocean, having witnessed some or all members of her pod being killed, placed into a small sea pen with other dolphins unknown to her and with whom she likely could not communicate, only to languish and then be killed when her value as meat outstripped her value as entertainment.
We cannot bring Jiyu back, and she is at least free from the torturous existence epitomized by the captivity industry, but Jiyu is a bellwether for me. She is a bellwether for what can happen when a system that is allowed to benefit corporate entities and a few people is allowed
- to utilize marketing to hide the truth from those outside that system, and
- to count upon the lack of political or individual will to demand that truth.
I will never forget her. I will never stop working for dolphin freedom, or the freedom of all creatures, including homo sapiens, to live the life that this planet provides for them naturally, unharassed and untrammeled by unsustainable systems.
If you have read some of my other pieces, you may have ascertained, while wading through my inarticulateness, that my core belief is in the inherent dignity and unity of all life. That all are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights. I also believe that the logical imperative for a right to be inalienable is that it cannot be purchased with a price that includes compromising or extinguishing even one of another’s inalienable rights.
Human beings appear to have, however, set themselves apart from the rest of the organic and inorganic parts of this Earthly paradise and to merely consider this paradise to be “theirs” to unsustainably, that is, without regard for inalienable rights:
- extract both substance and information;
- anoint certain species, that would be all 8.7 million species except homo sapiens (translates, I believe ironically, to be “wise man”), to be here on Earth for the enjoyment, sustenance, and curiosity of themselves;
- justify this anointing of themselves as above all others under the auspices of certain religions and mythologies;
- procreate without regard for how it impacts our ability to respect the inalienable rights of other species, or indeed, of the ecosystem in which our species found ground fertile enough to grow (again, under the auspices of dot dot dot);
- having procreated beyond a sustainable number that respected the inalienable rights of our fellow Earthlings, in which I include plants, run roughshod over this delicate and graceful Earth by developing unsustainable systems to feed, shelter and clothe that unsustainable human population.
We, this opposable thumb species, take it as our birthright to create any problem and to sell any solution that someone will buy, whether it will crash the entire system.
For Jiyu, I pledge to be part of creating a sustainable world, built upon the truth of inalienable rights. It isn’t just about creating a world that respects the dignity of the Earth’s most intelligent species. It’s also about creating one that truly respects the dignity of humans, too.
That one may catch you on the way home.
Cove Blue for Jiyu.